Thursday, April 7, 2011

4/6/2011: Heaven and Hell cake- B-Day

















This one was a fun one to make, I guess I say that about them all, because I always have fun doing it! This was made for a close family friend's daughter, for her "sweet 16". If you couldn't tell by the choice of cake design, she hasn't been a 100% "good girl" this year.


The bottom layer is hell. I made it with black fondant, intricately (man it took FOREVER to cut the flames out of the stencil I made, is there a tool that's best for cutting fondant without pulling or tearing?? PLEASE?) cut out flames in red and yellow, then did a jagged orange boarder. Then added demon wings with the detail done in black frosting., and pitch forks dusted with opal iridescent shimmer.


the top layer is "heaven", it was covered in white fondant, has ring of blue fondant clouds with a swirly painted design, and suns with bands of light coming from them. Then I added angel wings, the detail done in white frosting for feathers, and golden halos dusted with opal iridescence.


The cake topper is none other than the Devil himself, emerging from the cake after navigating both layers to freedom! He's made out of gum paste and fondant with paint accents, and he carries a "pitch fork", impaling a gum paste banner with fondant "16", made out of fondant and skewers.


This one was a blast to make, and very fun creatively. and to top it all off, this was the first cake I was ever payed for!!! :) And I wasn't even expecting it!

No comments:

Post a Comment